The Common Service Book of the Lutheran Church was published in several editions, text only and text with music in 1917 and 1918. It is freely available through Google Books (text, text with music) and Archive.org (text, text with music). It was put together by the United Lutheran Church in America and several other American Lutheran bodies. Because of the date of publication, it is now in the public domain.
Other worship books like The Lutheran Hymnary (Norwegian Synods, 1913), Evangelical-Lutheran Hymn Book (LCMS, 1918), Book of Hymns (WELS, 1931) and The Lutheran Hymnal (LCMS-WELS-ELS Synodical Conference, 1941) drew from the Common Service Book or from earlier versions of the rites when the Common Service was researched and compiled in 1888.
The services of the Common Service Book are in the tradition of the Western Rite. Roman Catholics will recognize these services as very similar to the texts of the Mass and the liturgies of the hours. Anglicans/Episcopalians will see common elements to the Book of Common Prayer.
The Common Service Book used Scripture texts from the King James Version of the Bible, used British spellings (Saviour, honour, etc.), and capitalized pronouns referring to the Deity, including Who/Whom, along with other words such as Name when referring to the name of God.
For this electronic edition, different editions were consulted, so the files below may not be exactly the same as any one print edition. These files were made by modifying and correcting the texts that were generated by the pdf files of the original books and putting them into a usable format. Headings and rubrics were put in red, even though they were printed black in the original books.
The Common Service Book of the Lutheran Church
- The Calendar [pdf] [docx]
- The Service [pdf] [docx]
- Matins [pdf] [docx]
- Vespers [pdf] [docx]
- Introits, Collects, Epistles, Graduals and Gospels [pdf] [docx]
- Updated versions of the introits, collects and graduals and lessons (ESV), prepared for the LCMS Lutheran Service Book are available at www.sanctus.org.
- Sentences for the Seasons [pdf] [docx]
- Invitatories, Antiphons and Responsories [pdf] [docx]
- Collects and Prayers [pdf] [docx]
- The Litany [pdf] [docx]
- The Suffrages [pdf] [docx]
- The Bidding Prayer [pdf] [docx]
- The General Prayers [pdf] [docx]
- The Canticles [pdf] [docx]
- The Occasional Services [pdf] [docx]
- General Rubrics [pdf] [docx]
The hymns of the Common Service Book with Hymnal are available at Hymnary.org.